Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ice Storm 2009

As I write this, I'm sitting in my in-laws living room an hour away from home waiting on my power to be restored. The freezing rain started late afternoon on Monday and continued for around 35 HOURS! And at times it was pouring rain. Tuesday we stayed home as it continued to come down and I got laundry done - luckily. Tuesday mid morning, my ceder trees that sit to each side of my front window began really leaning from all the ice. Take into account, these trees normally touch the brick on the house.

Kevin went out and staked them up to try to help keep them upright or from breaking. It helped for a while. Notice I'm inside taking the pictures - IT WAS COLD - I wasn't going out there. LOL

Normally a little candle light would be romantic - not in this case.

Around 7, our power went out for around 30 minutes. A little while later it went out again for about the same amount of time. I was hopeful that was it, but knew it probably wasn't. It went out again around 11 Tuesday night and as I type this 24 hours later, it's still out. The boys had fun playing with the flashlights though.


And this is what we woke up to. Notice my trees are now on the ground. They appear to have uprooted. We'll be able to tell better once the ice and snow melt. It was nice to see the sun, if even for a little while.


These are out the back door.


And out the front window into the neighbors yard.
It became clear as the day progressed that we would not be getting power nor any of our friends, so we packed up and drove to Kevin's parents. CWL is saying that it could be the weekend before everyone has power. We're not very happy about that, but we're trying to be patient! We packed enough until Saturday, but are very hopeful to go home tomorrow. We keep calling the house to see if the answering machine picks up. How happy we will be when it does!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Brrrrr! I know how you feel! I hope your power is back on and you are staying warm!